Fun with small sample sizes!
Opening Day annually gives us a chance to extrapolate ridiculous statistics for the rest of the season. Among my favorites after the Mets’ 6-2 Opening Day loss to the Marlins:
- Willie Harris is on pace to lead the Mets with a .500 average and 324 hits.
- Jose Reyes and David Wright are on pace to go hitless this season.
- Since he needs something to replace all that hitting, Wright is on pace to strike out 324 times.
- Pedro Beato may be destined to give up more hits (486) than innings pitched (324), but he is also on pace to go the entire season without allowing a walk or an earned run.
- Mike Pelfrey is on track to finish the year with a 4.15 ERA.
Come to think of it, that last one may actually turn out to be accurate.
—–Follow along on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo.