Phillies 8, Mets 3: Three Up, Three Down
Probably not what the Mets envisioned tonight. Okay, definitely not what the Mets envisioned.
1. 2B Daniel Murphy: Murphy just continues to drive the ball with authority, this time rapping out a single and a double in four trips to the plate. He had two of the Mets’ eight hits against Lee.
2. C John Buck: Another night, another opposite-field homer for the National League’s RBI leader. Ho-hum.
3. RHP LaTroy Hawkins: It may have been a low-leverage situation, but Hawkins’ 10-pitch seventh against Michael Young, Domonic Brown and John Mayberry was impressive. Overall lately, the Mets’ bullpen has been sharp.
1. RHP Dillon Gee: Mets starters entered tonight’s game with a 1.87 ERA. They exited the stadium with a 3.11 ERA. Enough said.
2. RHP Greg Burke: Here’s something to keep an eye on: when Burke puts runners on base, he has a hard time holding them there. Burke’s submarine delivery is slow to the plate, as Chase Utley demonstrated by stealing second and scoring against him in the fourth. That could loom large in future high-leverage situations.
3. 2B Justin Turner: Given a rare start at first base, Turner grounded into a double play in his first at-bat, finished 1-for-4 with a single and committed a throwing error on defense. Spot starting isn’t easy, but the Mets were hoping for more.
Three Up, Three Down Season Standings:
C John Buck
2B Daniel Murphy
LHP Jon Niese, RHP Matt Harvey
RHP Jeremy Hefner, OF Mike Baxter, OF Marlon Byrd
RHP Jeurys Familia, 3B David Wright, SS Ruben Tejada, OF Lucas Duda, LHP Aaron Laffey
1B Ike Davis, LHP Josh Edgin, RHP Greg Burke
OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo.