Phillies 7, Mets 3: Three Up, Three Down
Remember this game? That’s pretty much what happened at Citizens Bank Park tonight.
1. C John Buck: Buck now has five home runs in eight games this season. Mets catchers combined for five home runs in 162 games last season. They’ll take the offensive boost.
2. CF Jordany Valdespin: Leading off, Valdespin rapped out three hits and saved starting pitcher Jeremy Hefner from further damage with his shoestring catch in the third. But it wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows for Valdespin, who also struck out with the bases loaded and was caught stealing for the first time this season.
3. OF Lucas Duda: Both of Duda’s two home runs were rockets, as was his first-inning double. If this is the beginning of a breakout from Duda, the Mets will certainly take it.
1. RHP Jeremy Hefner: The first six batters to face Hefner all reached base. Five of them scored. It’s hard to recover from that.
2. 3B David Wright: Wright is 0-for-8 over his last two games, striking out twice Wednesday (including in the first inning, when his whiff left Valdespin out to dry on the base paths). The Mets did well earlier this season without significant production from Wright, but now they need him to produce.
3. 1B Ike Davis: At what point does this become a significant concern? Another 0-for-4 has Davis batting .129 with one home run. Considering what happened last year, it has to be a worry.
Three Up, Three Down Season Standings:
C John Buck
2B Daniel Murphy
LHP Jon Niese, RHP Matt Harvey
OF Mike Baxter, OF Marlon Byrd, OF Jordany Valdespin
RHP Jeurys Familia, SS Ruben Tejada, LHP Aaron Laffey
LHP Josh Edgin, RHP Greg Burke, 3B David Wright
OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis, 1B Ike Davis
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo.