Dodgers 3, Mets 2: Three Up, Three Down
One step forward, one step back. One step forward, one step back.
1. RHP Jeremy Hefner: A nice rebound for a starting pitcher who sorely needed it. The Mets would have done well to take better advantage of Hefner’s day, but can at least hope it’s the start of better things to come.
2. SS Ruben Tejada: If defense can slump, Tejada is currently on fire with the glove. But his greatest contribution Thursday may have come on the bases, where he deftly scrambled to third on a wild pitch in the third, allowing David Wright to hit a game-tying sacrifice fly.
3. 2B Daniel Murphy: Murphy continues to show a knack for fortitude when it counts, singling to further a rally in the sixth inning and walking to advance another rally in the eighth. You’d still like to see more power from Murphy, but he’s a good bat to have with the game on the line.
1. 3B David Wright: If nothing else, Wright has to advance the lead runner to third base with two men on and no outs in the eighth. He did not, and the Mets did not score. The rest, as Howie says, is in the books.
2. LHP Scott Rice: Rice had been playing with fire with free passes all season, but it was actually a leadoff double to a right-handed hitter that did him in Thursday. The Dodgers played ABC baseball from there, moving Nick Punto over on a groundout and scoring him on a single.
3. C Anthony Recker: Recker’s job is extremely difficult, coming off the bench to play no more than once a week. Still, he failed to put the ball in play twice in three at-bats Thursday, which — rust or not — won’t earn him any additional playing time.
Three Up, Three Down Season Standings:
C John Buck
2B Daniel Murphy
RHP Matt Harvey
INF Justin Turner, RHP LaTroy Hawkins, OF Marlon Byrd
LHP Jon Niese, OF Collin Cowgill, LHP Robert Carson, LHP Scott Rice
RHP Jeurys Familia, RHP Dillon Gee, RHP Brandon Lyon, OF Lucas Duda, C Anthony Recker
RHP Greg Burke, LHP Aaron Laffey, OF Jordany Valdespin
OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis
LHP Josh Edgin
1B Ike Davis
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo.