Mets 7, Braves 5: Three Up, Three Down
Terry Collins called this one the win of the year. It certainly felt that way for the Mets.
1. OF Jordany Valdespin: He makes so many mistakes throughout the course of a week, and yet it’s impossible to ignore this guy’s energy. Valdespin’s steal of second base was a critical play in the 10th inning, directly leading to the winning run.
2. 3B David Wright: A game-tying, ninth-inning home run against a guy who does not give up home runs? That was Captain America’s contribution to the win.
3. RHP Bobby Parnell: With all due respect to Jeurys Familia’s first career save, it was Parnell who entered with one out and the winning run on third base in the 10th. A popup and a groundout later, and the Mets were out of the jam.
1. RHP Shaun Marcum: A noted control expert, Marcum has now walked six batters in 10 innings this season. He is averaging five innings per start, which is taxing the bullpen and simply not getting it done.
2. 1B Justin Turner: Once again starting over Ike Davis, Turner finished with a rare 0-for-3 before giving way to a pinch-hitter. He entered the game with a .419 average in games that he started, versus a .143 mark coming off the bench.
3. RHP Brandon Lyon: Not a good day for the setup man, who coughed up the go-ahead run in the eighth inning, then needed Parnell’s help to avoid doing so again in the ninth. Lyon’s ERA is slowly creeping up near five.
Three Up, Three Down Season Standings:
C John Buck
3B David Wright
RHP Matt Harvey
RHP LaTroy Hawkins, OF Marlon Byrd, LHP Scott Rice, LHP Jon Niese, SS Ruben Tejada, INF Justin Turner
RHP Jeremy Hefner, RHP Bobby Parnell
RHP Scott Atchison, OF Lucas Duda
RHP Greg Burke, LHP Aaron Laffey, OF Mike Baxter, C Anthony Recker, RHP Dillon Gee, RHP Shaun Marcum, RHP Brandon Lyon
OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis
LHP Josh Edgin
1B Ike Davis
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo.