Braves 9, Mets 4: Three Up, Three Down
In rainy Atlanta, the Mets saw their momentum washed away.
1. 3B: David Wright: Captain America went deep for the third straight game, but also misplayed B.J. Upton’s single in the third inning on defense. It probably should have been an error.
2. OF Mike Baxter: Let’s give Mike from Whitestone some props for his pinch-hit double in the eighth, sparking what could have been a game-tying rally. Alas, it was not.
3. 1B Justin Turner: Pinch-hitting for Ike Davis, Turner worked a bases-loaded walk to further the rally that Baxter started. Both Mets pinch-hitters came through in this game.
1. LHP Jon Niese: Had the defense not betrayed him, Niese’s line might have looked much better. But the six walks against him were far too many, and Niese admitted that much after the game.
2. OF Lucas Duda: Before this week, Duda’s defense in left field had actually been passable. But he made a big mistake in Miami and another on Sunday, breaking in on a two-run double over his head.
3. OF Marlon Byrd: Byrd came to the plate in the eighth inning as the potential tying run. Eric O’Flaherty then threw him six pitches, five of them out of the strike zone, and Byrd swung at three of them to whiff.
Three Up, Three Down Season Standings:
C John Buck
3B David Wright
RHP Matt Harvey, INF Justin Turner
RHP LaTroy Hawkins, LHP Scott Rice, SS Ruben Tejada
RHP Jeremy Hefner, RHP Bobby Parnell, LHP Jon Niese, OF Marlon Byrd
RHP Scott Atchison, OF Mike Baxter
RHP Greg Burke, LHP Aaron Laffey, C Anthony Recker, RHP Dillon Gee, RHP Shaun Marcum, RHP Brandon Lyon, OF Lucas Duda
OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis
LHP Josh Edgin
1B Ike Davis
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo.