White Sox 6, Mets 3: Three Up, Three Down
A two-game split with the White Sox.
1. OF Lucas Duda: If Duda went 1-for-4 with a solo home run every game, the Mets would be thrilled. So we won’t begrudge him the strikeouts as long as he keeps hitting the long balls.
2. OF Mike Baxter: A nice 2-for-3 game for Baxter, who reached base three times and seems to be hitting his stride. A month into the season, outfield playing time is still very much up for grabs. Even a brief hot streak would help Baxter grab some.
3. OF Justin Turner: The two hits were nice, as was the versatility in playing the outfield for the first time in his career. Though Terry Collins isn’t comfortable starting him out there just yet, it may only be a matter of time.
1. 2B Daniel Murphy: Not a great game for Murphy, who is slumping again. Over his last 10 games, he is batting .143 with one extra-base hit.
2. 1B Ike Davis: When will he start hitting? Last year, it was not until mid-June. The Mets would appreciate an earlier start to his hot streak this summer.
3. C John Buck: Offensively, Buck is regressing to the mean. That does not mean he won’t be an asset for the Mets all summer; it simply means he will not be an all-world catcher for six months. Common sense reigns supreme.
Three Up, Three Down Season Standings:
C John Buck
3B David Wright, RHP Matt Harvey, IF Justin Turner
RHP LaTroy Hawkins, LHP Scott Rice, RHP Bobby Parnell
RHP Jeremy Hefner, LHP Jon Niese, OF Marlon Byrd, SS Ruben Tejada, OF Mike Baxter
RHP Scott Atchison, 2B Daniel Murphy
RHP Greg Burke, LHP Aaron Laffey, C Anthony Recker, RHP Dillon Gee, RHP Shaun Marcum, RHP Brandon Lyon, OF Lucas Duda
OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis
LHP Josh Edgin
1B Ike Davis
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo.