Pirates 3, Mets 2: Three Up, Three Down
Meet the new lineup, same as the old lineup.
1. RHP Matt Harvey: Clearly pitching without his best stuff, Harvey still managed to hold the Pirates to two runs in seven innings. He is without question the ace of this staff.
2. OF Lucas Duda: Duda was the only one who could touch Pirates starter Jeanmar Gomez, homering in the second. And he nearly tied the game with a rocket ground ball off the first base bag in the eighth. Instead, an unlucky bounce led to the out.
3. OF Mike Baxter: Despite starting only two games over the past week, Baxter has come through with two game-winning and one game-tying RBI. Calls for increased playing time are not off-base.
1. 1B Ike Davis: Terry Collins put the onus on Davis when he moved him back to the cleanup spot. The first baseman responded with an 0-for-4 day, including a huge strikeout with a man on third base and one out in the ninth.
2. RHP Bobby Parnell: Collins put Parnell in a tough spot, bringing him in with the go-ahead run in scoring position in the eighth. All it took was a hard-hit single, which the closer allowed to Pedro Alvarez.
3. RHP Brandon Lyon: He and Scott Rice each faced two batters, walking one of them. But while Rice’s walk came against perennial All-Star Andrew McCutchen, Lyon’s came against Gaby Sanchez, a .167 hitter against right-handed pitching.
Three Up, Three Down Season Standings:
C John Buck
3B David Wright, RHP Matt Harvey
IF Justin Turner
OF Mike Baxter
RHP LaTroy Hawkins, LHP Scott Rice, OF Marlon Byrd
RHP Jeremy Hefner, OF Juan Lagares, LHP Robert Carson
RHP Scott Atchison, C Anthony Recker, OF Jordany Valdespin, OF Lucas Duda
RHP Greg Burke, LHP Aaron Laffey, RHP Dillon Gee, 2B Daniel Murphy, RHP Brandon Lyon
OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis, RHP Shaun Marcum
LHP Josh Edgin
1B Ike Davis
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo.