Cardinals 10, Mets 4: Three Up, Three Down
How deep does this rabbit hole go?
1. 2B Daniel Murphy: The Mets officially have a nominee for Streakiest Hitter in Baseball. Since snapping last week’s 0-for-17 skid at the plate, Murphy has gone 6-for-9 with two doubles, two RBI and two runs scored.
2. OF Marlon Byrd: Something clicked for Byrd after he jammed his shoulder into the right-field wall attempting to catch a foul ball in the fifth. An inning later, he hit a two-run home run, one of Byrd’s two extra-base hits on the night.
3. RHP Greg Burke: Good for Burke, who has now given the Mets 2 1/3 scoreless innings since returning from Triple-A Las Vegas. Another inning or two, and this may take the form of real progress for the submariner.
1. RHP Dillon Gee: After giving up another six runs in four innings, Gee sounded like a pitcher who was completely out of answers. He’ll need to find some before his next start, or risk losing his grip on a rotation spot.
2. LHP Robert Carson: Like Gee, Carson has displayed an utter inability to get batters out with any sort of consistency. There’s certainly talent here, but Carson needs to figure out how to tap it if he wants to stay at this level.
3. 1B Ike Davis: Another forgettable day for Davis, who finished 0-for-4 at the plate and committed a (at the time) critical throwing error to spark a first-inning Cardinals rally. Considering how badly he has slumped offensively, Davis needs to be perfect on defense.
Three Up, Three Down Season Standings:
C John Buck
3B David Wright, RHP Matt Harvey
IF Justin Turner
OF Mike Baxter, OF Marlon Byrd
RHP LaTroy Hawkins, RHP Jeremy Hefner
OF Juan Lagares, LHP Scott Rice
C Anthony Recker, OF Jordany Valdespin, OF Lucas Duda, OF Rick Ankiel
LHP Aaron Laffey, RHP Brandon Lyon, RHP Scott Atchison
OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis, RHP Shaun Marcum, RHP Dillon Gee
LHP Josh Edgin
1B Ike Davis
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo.