Marlins 8, Mets 1: Three Up, Three Down
Today’s Three Up should consider themselves lucky.
1. SS Omar Quintanilla: Two singles accounted for two-thirds of the Mets’ offensive output against Marlins starter Jose Fernandez. They were also his third and fourth consecutive hits since snapping an 0-for-34 in the Majors.
2. SS Justin Turner: Pinch-hitting for Quintanilla, he knocked in the only run of the game with a double. That was enough for an “Up” on this day, despite Turner’s subsequent error in the field.
3. OF Lucas Duda: Duda got a hit. Most of his teammates did not. Good for Duda.
1. 3B David Wright: The captain’s 0-for-4 sunk him into an 0-for-13 funk at the plate. Accountability for a team-wide lack of offense must begin here.
2. C John Buck: Another 0-for-4 for Buck, this time with three swinging strikeouts. He probably should not be hitting fifth at this point, but problem is, the Mets have no obvious candidate to move up in the order.
3. RHP Collin McHugh: I have a hard time giving a “Down” to a pitcher making a spot start on short notice, but McHugh was facing the worst offensive team in baseball. The Mets were hoping for better than four runs in four-plus innings.
Three Up, Three Down Season Standings:
RHP Matt Harvey
2B Daniel Murphy
C John Buck
OF Marlon Byrd, INF Justin Turner
RHP Jeremy Hefner
RHP Greg Burke, LHP Jon Niese, LHP Scott Rice, OF Mike Baxter, SS Omar Quintanilla, OF Lucas Duda
LHP Robert Carson, RHP LaTroy Hawkins, OF Juan Lagares, 3B David Wright
LHP Aaron Laffey, RHP Scott Atchison, OF Jordany Valdespin, C Anthony Recker, RHP Brandon Lyon, RHP Shaun Marcum, OF Rick Ankiel, RHP Collin McHugh
OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis
LHP Josh Edgin, SS Ruben Tejada, RHP Dillon Gee
1B Ike Davis
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo.