Dispatches from Port St. Lucie, 2/17
Today was the first official workout for Mets pitchers and catchers. Lots happened today, including Jeff Wilpon’s Q&A with MLB.com.
What we learned: Not long after the Mets seemed to tab Jenrry Mejia a starting pitcher for good, manager Terry Collins said that Mejia could make the team out of the bullpen. … Noah Syndergaard is a large, large human.
What we wrote:
- Wilpon: Mets’ fortunes are steadily improving
- C. Young believes in strong defensive outfield
- Collins would consider Mejia for bullpen
- Hefner pleased with his first throwing session
- Syndergaard impresses during bullpen outing
- Tejada gets with offseason fitness program
Around the league:
They said it:
“We had to use our money to sign a few guys. We don’t have any bats, we don’t have any balls, we don’t have any lights. But we do have players.” –Collins, after a light in the Mets’ press conference room proved non-operational.
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo