Dispatches from Port St. Lucie, 2/20
Still relatively quiet here at Mets camp, but things are about to pick up now that all position players have officially reported. Those folks will take their physicals Friday, in advance of the first full-squad workout Saturday.
What we learned: Matt Harvey has been cleared to throw a baseball for the first time since Tommy John surgery. … Minor League saves king (and current bullpen candidate) Jeff Walters learned some of the tricks of his trade from then-Class A Binghamton pitching coach Frank Viola. … The Mets are not pursuing Cuban defector Aledmys Diaz, a shortstop.
What we wrote:
- Walters goes from under the radar to ‘pen contender
- Harvey cleared to begin throwing after surgery
- Grandy gives Duda some tips during batting practice
- Mets players set for physicals, first full-squad workout
Around the league:
- Braves lock up Simmons with seven-year deal
- Jeter takes center stage in Yankees’ first workout
- Braun’s focus on return, move to right field
- After brilliant debut, Wacha has something to prove
They said it:
“NO!!!” –Mets pitcher Jeremy Hefner, on Twitter, after the USA women’s hockey team lost to Canada in the gold-medal game
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo