Dispatches from Port St. Lucie, 2/23
The games start soon, beginning with an intrasquad matchup on Thursday. Buckle in.
What we learned: The Mets will hold back some of their regular starting pitchers early in the Grapefruit League season, in an attempt to see as many arms as possible. Zack Wheeler and Dillon Gee in particular will not pitch the first time through the rotation.
What we wrote:
- Stats aside, Daniel Murphy striving for more in 2014
- Eric Young buckling up to hang onto speed belt
- Mets set Grapefruit League rotation in motion
- Wilmer Flores hoping for peace in his home country
Around the league:
- Report: Mike Trout discussing six-year extension
- Yankees, Brett Gardner agree to four-year, $52M extension
They said it:
“What is comfort? Is it money? I’ve made an ungodly amount of money. That’s the only way to describe it. We’re in a really cool spot with a child coming on the way, that’s exciting. That would be the way I would describe where we’re at — a very exciting time. But comfort comes and it doesn’t really last.” –Mets second baseman Daniel Murphy
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo