Dispatches from Port St. Lucie, 3/2
The Mets are now 0-3 in Grapefruit League play, outscored 21-6 in their three games.
What we learned: Sorry, Jenrry Mejia, but Daisuke Matsuzaka and John Lannan are the frontrunners to win the Mets’ fifth starter’s job.
What we wrote:
- Cardinals 7, Mets 1: Dice-K delivers two innings in spring debut vs. Cards
- Noble: No. 3 fits former speedster Granderson
- Dice-K, Lannan favorites for fifth spot in rotation
- Tejada scratched due to left hamstring issue
Around the league:
- Expanded replay review set for spring debut
- Albert Pujols feels great, expects heavy spring workload
- Josh Beckett impressive in first outing since May
They said it:
“It’s obvious that when you’re Daisuke Matsuzaka, you come with a track record. Certainly with what he’s done in the past, you might have to say he’s probably the guy.” –Manager Terry Collins on Matsuzaka’s chances to win the fifth starter’s job