Dispatches from Port St. Lucie, 3/3
Behind do-everything pitching prospect Noah Syndergaard, the Mets on Monday finally showed up in the win column. They’re 1-3 this spring.
What we learned: Minor injuries continue to plague Mets camp, with Ike Davis joining Eric Young, Jr., Ruben Tejada, Wilfredo Tovar, Bartolo Colon and Jon Niese on the list of early casualties. None of them, however, are expected to miss any significant time. … Johan Santana is close to signing a Minor League deal with the Orioles. … SNY sideline reporter Kevin Burkhardt will host FOX’s baseball pregame show this summer in addition to his Mets duties. Steve Gelbs will fill in on SNY when conflicts arise.
What we wrote:
- Mets 6, Braves 2: Syndergaard strong during debut in Mets’ win
- Syndergaard can make Mets flush with aces
- D’Arnaud working with idol Piazza at camp
- No games yet, but plenty of work for Wright, Murphy
- Davis scratched due to soreness in calves
Around the league:
- O’s nearing Minor League deal with Johan Santana
- Three plays upheld in expanded replay review’s debut
- Cameron Maybin out 2-3 months with ruptured biceps tendon
“Harvey is Harvey, but [Syndergaard] and Wheeler are definitely a very close second.” –Braves outfielder Justin Upton on the Mets’ top three young pitchers
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo